The most popular procedures in dentistry with patients and professionals alike are cosmetic dentistry procedures. In fact, the largest dental organization in the world is the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. With over 6,000 members, this organization includes dentists, technicians, researchers, hygienists and other dental professionals. But what exactly is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving dental aesthetics such as a person’s bite, gum appearance, and the overall look of their smile. Newell Sill Jenkins (1840-1919) — considered the founder of cosmetic dentistry — showed the world just how important cosmetic dentistry is to one’s dental health. He developed porcelain enamel and wrote numerous articles about how tooth restorations could be greatly improved by using porcelain.
Some Types of Popular Cosmetic Dental Procedures that are Available:
* Bonding – Cosmetic material is first applied to a tooth that’s chipped, decayed, misshapen, or suffering from some other problem. Then the material’s molded into shape. Finally, it’s polished until it matches the rest of your tooth’s surface.
* Gum Lift – This involves raising the gum line and reshaping the tissue so your teeth look longer or more symmetrical.
* Implants – Dental implants are often used to replace missing teeth. They consist of an implant device inserted into the bone, the abutment (a connecting element), and a crown or denture.
* Tooth Reshaping – This cosmetic procedure removes part of a tooth’s enamel to alter its shape or correct a small chip to improve the tooth’s appearance.
* Veneers – These are porcelain laminates bonded to your teeth. They’re used to close gaps, improve the shape of teeth, cover discolorations, and generally enhance the look of your smile.
* Whitening – This is one of the most common procedures. A dentist can bleach any discolored teeth that you have to lighten and improve their appearance.
These are just a few options available through cosmetic dentistry. For more information about ways to improve the look of your teeth, please contact us today. We’ll help you achieve and maintain the best smile possible!