A dental implant is a surgical component used to support a prosthesis. It’s an extremely popular and effective way to replace a missing tooth or a damaged tooth that can’t ultimately be saved.
If you have healthy gums and an adequate amount of bone, a post can first be implanted into your jaw. After the post has fused with the existing bone there, an abutment can then be added, which allows the dentist to finally connect to the fixture a crown that matches your natural teeth. Thus, you’re given a brand new tooth.
Advantages of a Dental Implant
- It’s safe since adjacent teeth aren’t affected by a dental implant.
- A dental implant is very stable because it’s bonded to the jawbone.
- Dental implants will look and feel like your own teeth.
- These fixtures are quite durable and will last for a long time.
- Implants are more convenient than dentures or a bridge since they stay in place.
- You can still easily eat all of your favorite foods.
Dental implants are generally made from titanium to prevent the body from rejecting the implanted, foreign objects. Very little discomfort is usually associated with an implant procedure. Over-the-counter medications should take care of any soreness. In addition, success rates are relatively high — over 95 percent in most cases.
After the procedure, to care for your dental implant, you simply brush and floss as you would with your natural teeth. You’re encouraged to visit your dentist regularly to help maintain the health of your implants, gums, and all of your teeth to avoid problems in the future.
For more information on dental implants or any other dental procedures, please contact us today. Our experienced team will work hard to restore and preserve your smile!